There are more than 100 different national and international nursing organizations, many of which have chapters in Oregon. You may want to consider the benefits of joining a professional organization.
Reasons for joining a professional organization include:
- Educational opportunities. Keep up to date on the latest changes in the nursing profession and earn CEUs (see certification below).
- Networking. Use local and national conferences and educational events to meet colleagues working in other organizations, other states, or even other countries!
- Certification. Demonstrate your commitment to excellence by pursuing certification in your nursing specialty.
- Targeted resources. Many organizations offer compiled resources (articles, journals, webinars, etc.) specific to your nursing specialty.
- Career assistance. Access career advice, job pages, and other resources if you are considering an employment change.
Here’s a list of nursing groups with chapters/affiliates in Oregon!
Alliance of Black Nurses Association
American Association of Critical Care Nurses, Greater Portland Chapter
American College of Nurse Midwives, Oregon State Affiliate
American Nurses Association, Oregon Nurses Association
Association for Radiologic and Imaging Nursing, NW Chapter (OR, WA and ID)
Dermatology Nurses’ Association, NW Oregon #009
Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association, Oregon and SW Washington Chapter
National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners, Oregon Chapter
National Council of Clinical Nurse Specialists, Oregon Council
Sigma Theta Tau, International Honor Society of Nursing, Omicron Upsilon Chapter
Society of Gastroenterology Nurses and Associates, Inc., Pacific Northwest Regional Society
American Association of Critical Care Nurses, Central Oregon Chapter
American Association of Critical Care Nurses, Willamette Valley Chapter
American Association of Occupational Health Nurses, Oregon Chapter
Association of periOperative Registered Nurses, #3801
Association of Pediatric Oncology Nurses, Northwest Chapter
Emergency Nurses Association, Mid Valley and Coastal Chapter
Infusion Nurses Society, Lower Columbia Chapter
National Association of Neonatal Nurses, Pacific Northwest (OR/WA) Region
National Student Nurses Association, Oregon Student Nurses Association
Oregon Society of Pediatric Nurses
Sigma Theta Tau, International Honor Society of Nursing, Beta Psi Chapter
American Association of Critical Care Nurses, Pacific Crest Regional Chapter
American Association of Nurse Anesthetists
American Holistic Nurses Association, Oregon Chapter, Portland & Willamette Valley
American Psychiatric Nurses Association, Oregon Chapter
Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nursing, Oregon Chapter
Emergency Nurses Association, Oregon Council
National Association of Hispanic Nurses
Portland, Oregon Chapter
National Association of School Nurses, Oregon School Nurses Association
Northwest Organization of Nurse Leaders
Oncology Nurses Society, Mt. Hood Chapter
Sigma Theta Tau, International Honor Society of Nursing, Xi Mu Chapter
Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nurses Society, Northwest Region (OR, WA, AK, ID, MT)