There are more than 100 different national and international nursing organizations. Many of them have chapters in Oregon, and (spoiler alert!) not ALL are located in Portland!
There are many reasons to join a professional organization.
- Educational opportunities – Keep up-to-date on the latest changes in the nursing profession and earn CEs (see certification below).
- Networking – Use local and national conferences and educational events to meet colleague working in other organization, other states or even other countries!
- Certification – Demonstrate your commitment to excellence by pursuing certification in your nursing specialty.
- Targeted resources – Many organizations offer compiled resources (articles, journals, webinars, etc.) specific to your nursing specialty.
- Career assistance – Many associations offer career advice, job pages, and other resources if you are considering an employment change.
Now that you know why to join a professional organization, here’s a list of nursing groups with chapters/affiliates in Oregon.
Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses – Greater Portland Chapter #410
American Association of Critical Care Nurses – Central Oregon Chapter
American Association of Critical Care Nurses – Greater Portland Chapter
American Association of Critical Care Nurses – Pacific Crest Regional Chapter
American Association of Critical Care Nurses – Willamette Valley Chapter
American Association of Nurse Anesthetists – ORANA
American Association of Occupational Health Nurses – Oregon Chapter
American College of Nurse Midwives – Oregon State Affiliate
American Holistic Nurses Association -Oregon Chapter, Portland and Willamette Valley
American Nurses Association – Oregon Nurses Association
American Organization of Nurse Executives – NWONE
American Psychiatric Nurses Association – Oregon Chapter
Association of Pediatric Oncology Nurses – Northwest Chapter
Association of periOperative Registered Nurses – #3801
Association of periOperative Registered Nurses – #3803
Association for Radiologic and Imaging Nursing – NW Chapter (OR, WA and ID)
Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nursing – Oregon Chapter
Dermatology Nurses’ Association – NW Oregon #009
Emergency Nurses Association – Oregon Council
Emergency Nurses Association – Mid Valley and Coastal Chapter
Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association -Oregon and SW Washington Chapter
Infusion Nurses Society – Lower Columbia Chapter
National Association of Hispanic Nurses – Portland, Oregon Chapter
National Association of Neonatal Nurses – Pacific Northwest (OR/WA) Region
National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners – Oregon Chapter
National Association of School Nurses – Oregon School Nurses Association
National Council of Clinical Nurse Specialists – Oregon Council
National Student Nurses Association – Oregon Student Nurses Association
Nurse Practitioners of Oregon
Oncology Nurses Society – Mt. Hood Chapter
Oncology Nurses Society – Oregon Coastal Connections
Sigma Theta Tau, International Honor Society of Nursing – Beta Psi Chapter
Sigma Theta Tau, International Honor Society of Nursing – Omicron Upsilon Chapter
Sigma Theta Tau, International Honor Society of Nursing – Xi Mu Chapter
Society of Gastroenterology Nurses and Associates, Inc. – Pacific Northwest Regional Society