What is the “Future of Nursing” Report?
In October 2010, the Institute of Medicine (IOM) and Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) released The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health, a report detailing multiple recommendations to transform the nursing profession to meet the increased demand for care that will be created by health care reform and to advance improvements in America’s increasingly complex health system. Since that time, nursing organizations and health care stakeholders have organized across America to discuss how to implement the recommendations contained in the Future of Nursing report.
The key messages from the IOM Future of Nursing report:
- Nurses should practice to the full extent of their education and training.
- Nurses should achieve higher levels of education and training through an improved education system that promotes seamless academic progression.
- Nurse leaders should be full partners, with physicians and other health care professionals, in redesigning health care in the United States.
- Effective workforce planning and policy making require better data collection and an improved information infrastructure.
What is an Action Coalition?
Action Coalitions are convened by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation in collaboration with AARP, and the AARP Foundation to advance the Campaign for Action. Comprised of diverse groups of stakeholders that can effect sustainable change at the state or regional level, Action Coalitions will capture best practices, determine research needs, track lessons learned and identify models to be replicated that then can accelerate improvements nationally.
The Oregon Action Coalition (OAC) is a group of individuals and organizations who are dedicated to implementing the Institute of Medicine Future of Nursing’s (IOM-FON) bold vision for America’s health care system in Oregon by developing strategies to engage and communicate with nursing and non-nursing partners throughout the state. Since 2012, the OAC has focused on building nurses as leaders, removing scope of practice barriers for advanced practice nurses, creating strategies to increase the number of baccalaureate nurses, and raising awareness of the value of nursing in the state.
How can I join the work of the Oregon Action Coalition?
There are several ways you can become involved in this important work!
- Join a Workgroup: OAC Workgroups meet regularly to focus on individual recommendations.
- Become a Member: Show your organization’s commitment to transforming healthcare through nursing by becoming a member of the OAC.
- Contact Us: Email one of the OAC’s co-leads for more information:
- Jana Bitton, Oregon Center for Nursing, email@example.com
- Tom Engle, Oregon Public Health Association, firstname.lastname@example.org